Sunday, November 15, 2015

Barnstorm XXVIII


The opportunity to attend the Eddie Adams Workshop in breathtaking upstate New York could not have come at a better time. A few months before my approaching December graduation, 99 fellow students and a bounty of professional faculty immersed ourselves in everything photojournalism in the Catskill Mountains during the 28th annual workshop. 

For me, the workshop was a reaffirmation of my individual knacks within the craft of photojournalism, and a reminder that they are totally unique (as they should be). The industry has come to cultivate a culture of competition, especially as traditional photojournalism jobs become less and less, and those that remain become more demanding than ever. With competition comes frequent comparison-- Comparing photos, networks, even our identities. At the end of the day you can't be something you are not, as a human and as a journalist. I'm coming to terms with my interests as a photographer and how those intersect with my skill set and personal life. I'm working diligently on the journey toward finding my vision and identity as a visual journalist, learning how that eventual discovery will affect my career goals. Legendary presenters, faculty and fellow students at Barnstorm reminded me that this is a fluid, never-ending process that I must be patient but persistent in moving through. While my best skills as a photographer are technical, hence my attraction to sports and social media, I hope to become more comfortable expressing my beliefs and passions in future endeavors.

-------
Pictured above is the EAW XXVIII blue team after our shoot, sweat-soaked jerseys included. Back row, from left: Toni Sandys Mallon, Brad Smith, Al Bello, Robert Caplin. Front row, from left: Isaac Hale, Tim Tai, Matt Hecht, Michael Reaves, Michael Yanow, me, Brian Davidson, Steven Ryan, Dougal Brownlie, Anthony Geathers.

Below are a few of my images from our group photo shoot at the Monticello High School football game, alternating with personal images from our downtime taken on my Nikon FM film camera.

 
















No comments:

Post a Comment